Construction Leader, HWH, Chosen as Advocate for Construction Safety Week
Harrison, Walker & Harper, LLC (HWH), a leading construction and industrial services company, was recently named a 2021 Safety Week advocate by the Construction Safety Week organization. The advocates, appointed annually, include construction industry groups, associations and businesses who work to inspire leaders, educate employees and strengthen the industry’s safety culture and performance. In an effort to highlight this commitment and raise awareness for Construction Safety Week’s theme, “Be Present. Be Focused. Be Safe.,” HWH’s Safety Department will provide a series of programs to employees and sub-contractors at five of its construction job sites from May 3-7.
The educational presentation topics and locations are as follows:
- Monday, May 3: The Safety Team will kick off the week with the topic, “Be Present, Be Focused,” at the construction site of the Melissa Independent School District indoor practice facility, Texas’ largest high school practice facility to date.
- Tuesday, May 4: Centered on mental and physical wellbeing, the topic, “Healthy Mind, Healthy Body,” will be discussed at the Greenville, Texas, new emergency room job site.
- Wednesday, May 5: Highlighting the importance of risk awareness, the Safety team will discuss, “Be Relentless,” at the recently completed Fire Station 59 in Dallas.
- Thursday, May 6: Focused on the industry’s unique work hours, “Be Safe, Be Well Rested,” will offer HWH Fabrication Shop employees in Paris, Texas, fire safety instruction from the Paris Fire Department.
- Friday, May 7: Finishing the week at HWH’s Paris headquarters, the Safety Department’s closing remarks, “Thank You,” will offer the team a chance to express gratitude for one another.
“Safety is an integral part of the HWH culture,” said CMQ/OE, Director of Quality & Safety for HWH, Kristi Johnson. “From field employees to executive leadership, every single person is held to the same standard and encouraged to report on-site hazards and offer ideas for improving our overall safety initiatives. The Safety Department is honored to be working with Construction Safety Week next week to further our dedication to safety and continue to educate our team on the importance of both physical and mental health in all construction work.”
HWH has built a proven track record promoting Construction Safety Week’s holistic safety approach. Over the last six years, HWH has consistently reported below the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Experience Modification Rating (MSR) industry standard of 1.0, documenting a .60 rating to date. In conjunction with the company’s Environmental Health & Safety Program, which works to keep both employees and the environment safe, HWH has put several unique safety-first initiatives in place, including:
- An Infectious Disease Program
- An anonymous reporting system for unsafe and unethical work behavior
- A 100% tie-off policy that goes well above the OSHA standard
- Required 30-hour OSHA construction course every five years, although the certification never expires
- Participation in the voluntary Occupational Safety and Health Consultation (OSHCON) program
- All-employee OSHA, CPR/first aid, fall protection and confined space entry/rescue training
- Hazard education (HAZCOM) and strict COVID-19 protocols.
ABOUT HWH – Harrison, Walker & Harper, LLC (HWH) consolidates engineering, building and industrial services into an agile, accessible package for diverse markets, including the commercial, education, institutional, federal, civil, and aviation industries. Started in 1887, HWH combines a full range of delivery methods with self-perform skilled trades to simplify and solve problems for projects of all scales. HWH and its family of companies offer a wide range of services from site selection to supply chain management, adding value and quality to any facility or operation. With offices in Paris and McKinney, Texas, HWH is a trusted partner for projects across the region. Learn more about how we can help your business grow at hwh1887.com, or keep up with us on Facebook and LinkedIn.