Development Updates in McKinney
Last week the McKinney Economic Development Corporation hosted a Bisnow event that brought developers, realtors, financing entities, and many others from throughout the Metroplex to see what McKinney has to offer. Following the breakfast panel (more info on the panel discussion here). The MEDC took invited guests for a bus tour of the open land ready and ripe for development. As a participant on the tour I took away some great talking points that I’d like to share with our Members.
Stats about McKinney:
- According to the 2016 U.S. Census the average median household income was $83,257.
- McKinney is a highly educated community with a 48% of the community having earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. Ninety-three percent are a high school graduate or higher.
- Collin County’s labor force is 532,876
- In 2017 there was $239 million in new commercial development in McKinney.
- Located at the crossroads of the Sam Rayburn Tollway (hwy. 121) and U.S. Hwy. 75, the McKinney Economic Development has 57 acres remaining for development. Collin College Higher Education Center, Emerson Process Management, and The Sheraton Hotel are all located on the site.
McKinney National Airport
Bray Central Area
- Leading up to the City’s General Aviation Airport are two projects – both the McKinney Industrial Center and McKinney National Business Park. Between the two are opportunities for flex office and warehouse space, light and heavy manufacturing.
- McKinney National Airport, which is currently undergoing a master plan, has a 7,000 foot runway with plans to expand to 8,500 ft.
- The airport supports all civilian flying, except commercial passenger airlines. The U.S. Customs is onsite to support international travel.
- The airport broke ground in March for a new 40,000 sq. ft. hangar. In addition to the hangar will be a state of the art fixed base operator terminal.
- Many companies located in the North East Section of McKinney include Pogue Construction, Stat Lab, Tenant Tracker, PACCAR, Blount Fine Foods, and many more.
- McKinney Technology Center is a new project that includes a co-working space for technology based companies.
- There are several sites available for new projects and developments.
- A new project that we’ll soon see developed is Hub 121. It’s a $121 million mixed-use project on 22 acres that will feature restaurants, retail and will be an entertainment destination. The first phase of Hub 121 will include a 40,000-square-foot restaurant park in three clusters with rooftop decks and connected pedestrian walkways to Independent Bank’s 400,000 square foot corporate headquarters and the Parkside at Craig Ranch’s 2,500-unit urban residential community; a 6,500 square foot pavilion with a performance stage for live music and family movie nights; 20,000 square feet of retail and 287 urban residences.
- Marriott Autograph Collection resort hotel and conference will soon be breaking ground. The project is $110 million and will have 285 rooms and suites, 36,000 square feet of meeting space, a full-service restaurant, a resort style pool with an outdoor snack bar and a lazy river.
Check out their website at https://www.mckinneyedc.com/.
- Lisa Hermes, CCE, IOM
McKinney Chamber of Commerce