First taking office as Collin County Judge in 2007, Self was at the helm as Collin County experienced phenomenal growth. During his tenure he along with the Commissioners Court reduced the county tax rate six times in ten years, and instituted a homestead exemption.
Self has a lifetime of service beginning with his military career. A fifth-generation Texan and graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, Keith Self served our nation for 25 years as an Army officer, first retiring from active duty in 1999, then recalled to active duty in 2002 – 2003 for service in Afghanistan and Qatar, serving on General Tommy Franks’ staff.
Keith served for 12 years in Joint assignments (integrating Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines):
- US embassy in Cairo, Egypt – helping to manage the $2 Billion in US taxpayer- funded military aid to Egypt each year;
- US European Command, Germany – managing the US-Israeli military relationship;
- Pentagon – developing and implementing national strategy in the emerging high tech area of Information Warfare;
- National Security Council (NSC) Interagency Working Group in the White House complex – representing the Joint Staff;
- NATO military staff in Belgium – negotiating with 37 nations for forces to deploy to Kosovo and Bosnia.
The reception is being hosted by the Allen, Anna, Frisco, McKinney, Murphy, Plano and Wylie Chambers of Commerce.